Pages

.

Movie Review: Cencoroll

I'm just going to put this out there; this isn't going to be much of a review. Before you start whining and asking for a legitimate review, let me say that the reason this won't be a very long review is because the movie in question is only 26 minutes long. However, it is a very interesting, quirky, peculiar, and enjoyable 26 minutes, and I believe that this deserves an honest review. So, I'm going to voice my thoughts and try not to spoil anything.

Cencoroll takes place in modern Japan, centering around three main characters: Yuki, Tetsu, and a monster named Cenco. Cenco is a weird monster who can transform into anything as long as he's biting it, and seems to follow Tetsu around. An inquisitive Yuki encounters the two and begins to spend more time with them. Honestly, that's all I can really say about this movie without delving into spoilers, but I'll try to talk about the aspects that I really liked vaguely, so you can get an idea of whether or not you'll like this movie.
From top to bottom: Yuki, Tetsu, and the giant monster Cenco
If you can give this movie any credit, it's one of the most creative and weirdly interesting movies that I've ever seen. The monsters like Cenco have so much mystery surrounding them, but at the same time you don't really care whether or not you learn what exactly they are because the movie doesn't seem to rely on you knowing that fact. The movie's tone was very calm and relaxing somehow, even with all of these unexplained plot holes, and it feels like you're a younger kid again listening to this weird story about transforming monsters. I also really liked the interactions between our two mains, Yuki and Tetsu. To be fair, a lot of people can interpret their interactions as unnatural, but I kind of thought it fit with the strange tone of the movie, so it worked for me. Finally, my favorite aspect of this movie is its art style and animation. It was simple, yet effective. It doesn't have many colors beyond black, white, gray, and green for the backgrounds, but again, it also fit with the tone of the movie; the movie's attitude was that it was just going to present this story to you, and nothing else. The animation was fluid, the shadowing was amazing and gave the characters dimensions, and is just easy on the eyes. 
Animation is fantastic
Overall, I give Cencoroll a 3.5 out of 5, and a recommendation to watch it. It's short, memorable, and if you're sick of your average mediocre anime, give it a watch. As always, though, this is only my opinion, and it is up to you to decide yours.

ScoreCard: 



Honestly, there isn't anything else like this movie. I have no further recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment