Pages

.

Just Finished Reading: Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake

WARNING: There WILL be spoilers in this post, both for the book…and what I'll be reviewing on Sunday. Anyway, I need to get this off my chest.

So, I was going to keep this a secret because this series is my next review, but this facial expression sums up my feelings towards the second and final book:
This book was awful, which was such a disappointment because the first book was great. What the heck happened? While the first book was exciting, tense, and unique, this book was so boring. Nothing surprised me, there's practically no character development, the ending OH don't get me started on the ending, and when I finished it I felt like I wasted my time reading it. I felt cheated by this book. It had no point, and I just couldn't care less about it.

Now I'm going to talk about the ending. So, the entire point of the book was to get Anna back from Hell because she was trapped there after the events of the first book, right? So, everything happens because of that event, and you wanting to see Cas, the main character, get his girl. WELL SCREW THAT, BECAUSE THAT'S NOT HOW THE GODDAMN BOOK ENDS! IT LITERALLY ENDS WITH CAS DEFEATING THE MONSTER THAT WAS KEEPING ANNA HOSTAGE AND THEN CAS LEAVING HER BEHIND! ARE YOU SERIOUS?! WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THIS ENTIRE BOOK IF IT'S NOT EVEN RESOLVED AT THE END?! IT DOESN'T SEEM LIKE YOU CAN EVEN CONTINUE IT FROM WHERE IT ENDED! I feel as though the author decided to give me the middle finger and say, "Nope, this is the ending because it's unique, so what if you don't like it?" NO, THAT IS NOT HOW SOMETHING SHOULD END! This reminds me of the ending of Allegiant, even though I haven't read it due to that ending being spoiled for me; like I've been cheated. Like I wasted my time reading it. I know that a lot of people complain about how everything has a happy ending, and while I would like to see more bittersweet endings (emphasizing the BITTERSWEET), it is actually rather hard to pull off, therefore resulting in mostly happy endings. An ending has to be satisfying, like there was some sort of purpose as to why the book exists and why it ended that way. This is a perfect example of how a bittersweet ending did not satisfy and flat-out didn't work. 

So, yeah, this is my next review. Don't just automatically assume that I'm going to give the series a bad score, though, because I really liked the first book. Until then, I'll see you guys next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment