Pages

.

Book Review: Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion) by Aimée Carter

Ever since Legend, I’ve been experiencing a huge void due to bland and flat dystopian novels. I mean, sure, Under The Never Sky was good, but nothing that really blew my socks off. So, it was back to browsing Amazon for me again, and I stumbled across a book called Pawn. Caught by its interesting premise and the promise of something similar to Legend, I sat down and read the book. What did I think of it? Sit back, relax, and read on as I review Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion) by Aimée Carter.
The Setup:
The book takes place in a dystopian future (no duh, Sherlock) when, at 17, you take a test that determines your place in society by labeling you with a number. With this number system, the lowest “scum” of civilization are labeled with a 1 and are forced to work in unfavorable conditions, while those who are granted a 6 get to be politicians and doctors . Our main character is Kitty Doe, a very intelligent and tough 17 year old who unfortunately got a 3 because she’s dyslexic. Stuck in a very unfavorable position and forced to break up with her boyfriend Benji (they both decided it was best for the moment), she suddenly gets offered a chance to become a 7, a label that only the Hart family owns, as they are the leaders of the country. If Kitty agrees, she’ll live the high life as Lila Hart, the Prime Minister’s niece, but will always live under the fear of being discovered and seeing Benji hurt. It also doesn’t help that the Hart family is really twisted and insane, and that Lila’s death is connected to the fact that she began a rebellion. What I like about the setup is the world building, which is very spot-on for a dystopian. Everything that needs to be in this world is clear-cut and easy to understand in the beginning, allowing you to become intrigued by the setting. It also gives enough leeway for further developments of the setting, characters, story, and basically everything else. For example, the fact that Kitty is moving from the less favorable 3 label to the practically impossible 7 allows for juxtaposition between the two aspects of the world, the rich and the poor. This juxtaposition allows you to learn how different and how similar this society is to ours; the cruelty, the separation, the attitudes, the overall atmosphere…it’s pretty brilliant.
The Characters:
What I like about the characters in this story is the fact that, even though they’re technically archetypes of characters we’ve all seen before, they’re still interesting and entertaining nevertheless. The characters all have motivations and reasons for being the way they are, which allowed for noteworthy interactions and I was able to relate to them. First off, Kitty. She’s not especially original; she’s the strong female protagonist who will do anything and everything to protect those she loves. However, she had a level head and was also very intelligent, so I liked her enough. Benji is also a good love interest; he was kind, smart, and really cared about Kitty. Unfortunately, I kind of felt like he was the “damsel of distress” of the entire book, because Kitty was always saving/protecting him from the Hart family. I’m all for a strong female protagonist, but I’m not exactly fond of making one side of the party’s only purpose being motivation for the stronger side’s actions, and Benji falls into this category more than any male character I’ve seen with the exception of Witch Craft Works. And Witch Craft Works was supposed to basically parody the aspect of a “damsel in distress” gender crossover. Again, it’s just something that bugged me. The Hart family is what really kept this book interesting, though. The combination of Daxton, the prime minister, and Augusta, Daxton’s mother, is one of the best villain combinations that I can think of off the back of my head, at least in recent memory. They’re both twisted and psychotic in their own special ways, and added to the themes and morals of the book. My favorite character, though, would probably be Cecila, Lila’s grieving mother. I don’t think that I’ve ever seen another character like her, and cough SPOILERS cough. I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware that allergy season was over; must be the dust. The side characters were nothing truly special either, which is disappointing.
The Story:
The story was probably the best part of Pawn, but before I bring up pacing, there’s something I’d like to bring up: the romance. Unlike most YA books, the romance between Kitty and Benji has already developed and is the sole purpose for all of the events that transpire throughout the book. This means that the story wasn’t bogged down by cliché romance scenes and you smashing your book against the wall because why won’t they just get TOGETHER already?!...which was refreshing, as the book now just serves you straight plot. As for the relationship itself, it’s decent. I liked seeing Benji and Kitty together enough so that I actually cared about the book (if I didn’t, then the book would’ve sucked), but it wasn’t Lux or Clannad worthy. The main thing that kept me addicted to this story, however, was the uncertainty of it. There was always some sort of danger in the air, thanks to Augusta and Daxton, and the book wasn’t very predictable…which is nice. The pacing is also impeccable; it was fast without feeling rushed, and I finished the book very quickly. The story also has some themes concerning morality and how society functions in this dystopian world; should we be free to make our own choices, or let society and some sort of test judge for us? There’re also themes of power, lies, and sincerity that I didn’t expect, so thematically the book is also a success.
The Writing Style/Grammatical Errors:
Don’t have much to say in this section. I liked the writing style; smooth, straight to the point, and has an attitude. No grammatical errors to speak of.
Final Judgment:
Overall, Pawn is an enjoyable read with an exceptional story, good characters, a fantastic world, and a fitting writing style. I’d recommend it if you’re bored of the average, need a good book, or have some extra time to kill. I give Pawn a 3.5 out of 5 stars, and a recommendation to read it, but don’t put it on the top of your reading list. But, like always, it is up to you to decide your own opinions.
ScoreCard: 
Further Recommendations:
Landry Park
This book brings up similar themes and ideologies, but isn’t as fast-paced and is focused more on character. Give it a read if you want a slower but similar book.
Legend
I’ve recommended this book enough times, so you know the drill; this book is amazing, you should read it.

The next review will be on an anime, and it won’t come out until I come back from camp. Here’s the hint: Akiyuki Shimbo’s just being Akiyuki Shimbo. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment