Pages

.

The Time Traveller: A Poem


I wonder if you can tell what this poem is based on. This was an assignment for my Literary Analysis class, to write something that contains the tone of, "I've Had Enough", and after watching Steins;Gate, the character of Okabe inspired this poem. Keep in mind that it does contain spoilers. For those who have seen Steins;Gate, this is my interpretation of Okabe's thoughts in the beginning of Episode 23, when Suzuha is asking him to go back to try and save Kurisu. Enjoy!

I’ve had to watch my closest friend die
Many, no countless times
Within infinite versions of reality.
Finally, after sacrificing the one I love
I saved my friend.
Now, after suffering silently for weeks
You expect me to relive that?
To fix a past that shouldn’t have been broken?
I’ve overturned the past and it lead to despair
I nearly lost myself viewing my dearest comrade die
Now I have to watch my loved one perish?
This is what she wants
She knew she would die
And I don’t see any way around fate.
She lived because of a fluke,
Some senseless experiment in a run-down lab
And the consequence was the death
Of my companion in her place.
With every time reversal,
I was able to calculate my friend’s exact time of death
And watch it over
And over
And over
And over
And over again
The only change being the cause.
People seem to think that shifting the past will mend the future;
You can’t blame them, they’re ignorant.
They just can’t remember
How specious that act is.
I am the only keeper of those memories.
I know the past
The present
The future
And the alternatives
And I know firsthand
That time is not to be meddled with;
The only result will be pain
Of either yourself or others
By suffering the consequences.
I used to think that fate could be rewritten;
What a foolish, arrogant man I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment